Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flag book with envelopes.

Hahahahaha did I say I was going to have the second part of my tutorial posted today? Already breaking my promises on this brand new blog.





This is Hedi Kyle's flag book structure, basically, though all the tutorials and models I have seen usually use three rows instead of two. I only had ten envelopes though.

This is from one of those 'paint your own greeting card' sets they sell for a few bucks at the art store - I found it for two bucks at the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse and saw some possibilities.





 They look pretty ordinary when you open them flat.














But when you open them they look pretty dramatic!














There's a really satisfying sound, it's hard to describe. It makes you feel like a dealer spreading out a deck of cards.












They look pretty good when standing up, too. The way the pages move in opposite directions is cool. If the pages are imaged is creates a really cool effect too - check out google image search, there are probably some great examples there.










This is what makes the whole structure work. The spine is an accordion! The pages are glued to the back on alternate side of the pleat. This seems like another spot that would really be nice if it had an image. When I get around to my next flag book I won't forget that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment